August 13th, 2020 | Posted in News

Dear Concordia Prep Families,

Please read the announcement below from the MIAA and IAAM regarding fall sports. Concordia Preparatory School is committed to the health and safety of all students, faculty, and staff. After much deliberation, the MIAA and IAAM have come to the difficult joint decision to postpone the fall sports season. Concordia Prep will work diligently with both leagues to ensure that play of three athletic seasons happens during the 2020-2021 school year and we are prepared to explore all options to ensure that our students can enjoy some alternative physical health opportunities this fall. At this time, we do not have details about what physical health-based options we will offer in the fall, but will share them with you as soon as possible.

The fall workouts will continue through next week until school begins.

Ms. Fredrica Newman
Director of Athletics
Concordia Prep School

Statement from the MIAA and IAAM regarding Interscholastic Athletics for the 2020-2021 School Year

In response to the unprecedented challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic and with the health, safety, and well-being of our member-school campus and athletic communities being paramount, the members of the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) and the Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland (IAAM) have voted to postpone all fall athletic competitions and championships.

This postponement applies to the MIAA and IAAM sponsored sports and impacts cross country, field hockey, football, soccer, tennis, volleyball, and water polo. On behalf of our member schools, the MIAA and IAAM Board of Governors will reconvene in mid-October to evaluate the public health crisis and manage competitive options for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year. 

Guided by the commitment to preserve and sustain the student-athlete experience as a core component of the educational mission, the MIAA and IAAM have researched numerous options to develop policies and protocols that would support a safe return to play progression this fall prior to making this decision. Ultimately, the persistence of the virus and the potential for exposure among student-athletes, coaches, administrators, support staff, fans, and local communities, coupled with the need to safely reopen campuses this fall, made it impossible to execute a return to competition at this time without undue risk.

To enhance the experience for all student-athletes, opportunities for strength and conditioning, and sport-specific opportunities may be made available at each member school’s discretion in adherence to local and state health and safety guidelines. Member schools are not permitted to participate in scrimmages or competitive play until further notice.